The main objective of this policy statement is to create well-functioning urban environments in New Zealand. Notable policy implications include:
- Intensification (Policies 1, 2, 4 & 5).
- Building heights of at least 6 stories in some Tier 1 urban environments (Policy 3).
- Significant changes to built form are not to be considered an adverse effect (Policy 6).
- Housing bottom lines (Policy 7).
- Responsive planning (Policy 8).
- Collaboration (Policies 9 and 10).
- No minimum car parking rate requirements (Policy 11).
Tier 1 and 2 local authorities are required to prepare both a Future Development Strategy (FDS) and Housing and Business Development Capacity Assessment (HBA). The Tier 1 and 2 urban environments and local authorities are:
|Hamilton||Waikato Regional Council; Hamilton City Council; Waikato and Waipā District Councils|
|Tauranga||Bay of Plenty Regional Council; Tauranga City Council; Western Bay of Plenty District Council|
|Wellington||Wellington Regional Council; Wellington, Porirua, Hutt and Upper Hutt City Councils; Kāpiti Coast District Council|
|Christchurch||Canterbury Regional Council; Christchurch City Council; Selwyn and Waimakariri District Councils|
|Whangārei||Northland Regional Council; Whangārei District Council|
|Rotorua||Bay of Plenty Regional Council; Rotorua District Council|
|New Plymouth||Taranaki Regional Council; New Plymouth District Council|
|Napier Hastings||Hawke’s Bay Regional Council; Napier City Council; Hastings District Council|
|Palmerston North||Manawatū-Whanganui Regional Council; Palmerston North City Council|
|Nelson Tasman||Nelson City Council; Tasman District Council|
|Queenstown||Otago Regional Council; Queenstown Lakes District Council|
|Dunedin||Otago Regional Council; Dunedin City Council|
Tier 3 local authorities are all other regional councils and territorial authorities not listed.